Many of us have little or no time for a traditional workout. Given the demands of family, work and school, the thought of spending time at the gym or outside jogging can seem like a fantasy. But even the busiest people can find ways to stay fit by changing their daily routine.
Fitness experts recommend a minimum of 20 to 30 minutes of exercise three times a week. Even the minimum can drastically improve your health, give you more energy and reduce stress. Use the following tips to incorporate exercise into your day, whether you are at home or at work.
- Prepare your own meals instead of ordering take-out. You will burn calories cooking and you can use healthy ingredients and limit portion sizes.
- Try stretching or doing aerobics while watching TV.
- Clean the old-fashioned way. Vigorous mopping, scrubbing and dusting can burn calories.
- If you have a yard, use a push lawn mower or use hand tools when gardening.
- Take your pets for long walks instead of just letting them outside.
- Play with your children outside.
- Walk to the corner store instead of driving.
On the Commute
- If you live close enough, walk to work.
- If you live a little farther away, consider riding your bike to work.
- If walking or cycling is not an option, use public transit. You will get some exercise walking to and from the stops.
- If you must drive, park a few blocks away, or at least at the far end of the lot, to force yourself to walk more.
- Take the stairs to your floor. If you work on a higher floor, walk part of the way and then take the elevator.
- Bring your lunch so you can pack healthy ingredients and control portions.
- Get out of the office on your lunch break. Walk somewhere else to build in some easy exercise.
- Drink water. You can remove hundreds of empty calories from your diet per day if you avoid soda.
- Turn a coffee break into a walk around the office or a chance to do some light stretching.
Assistance is available to our employees through our Employee Assistance Program (EAP). Our EAP is provided through GuidanceResources®. GuidanceResources can be reached at 1-844-285-1067, through the free GuidanceResources Now mobile app or register online at www.GuidanceResources.com. (See your Benefits Guide or contact the Benefits Team or your manager for the Organization Web ID.)
Copyright © 2017 ComPsych Corporation. All rights reserved. This information is for educational purposes only.